Greater Lawrence Community Action Council, Inc

VITA & Financial Resources

GLCAC, are here to help you File for Your Unemployment, Prepare Taxes and Other Financial Questions!


Our Financial Literacy Coordinator, Ancel Tejada is working offsite and can assist with unemployment and other financial questions.  To request an appointment to speak by phone please email or leave a message at 978-620-4752.



Get Help Filing Taxes & Getting a Tax Refund 


Filing tax returns often results in tax refunds for low-income individuals. This can mean extra money to pay overdue bills, provide for families or save for the future. 


What is VITA? 


Our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a team of volunteers that helps qualified individuals file federal and state income taxes. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. The programs run from Feb. 1, 2021 through April 15, 2021. 


Who qualifies for VITA? 


VITA is available to qualifying individuals generally earning $65,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited-English-speaking taxpayers.  


How do I participate? 


We are not meeting with clients in person this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Clients can submit required paperwork electronically through our tax website, beginning Feb. 1. Volunteers will begin processing returns Feb. 12.  Documents can also be dropped off at several locations:  


  • GLCAC’s Help Desk, 305 Essex St., Lawrence, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or in a secure drop box outside the offices, Feb. 1-April 15. 
  • Hands to Help, 60 Island St., Suite 310, Lawrence, Monday through Friday, Feb. 12-April 15. 
  • CTI, 17 Kirk St., Lowell, Saturdays only, Feb. 6-April 10. 


What documents are needed? Only copies are accepted. 


To prepare your tax returns, provide us copies of the following documents. (Please do not submit original documents.) 


  • Proof of identification. 
  • Social Security cards for you, spouse and dependents. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted if you do not have Social Security numbers. 
  • Proof of foreign status if applying for an ITIN. 
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc.). 
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks. 
  • Health insurance exemption certificate. 
  • Bank account and routing numbers. 
  • Total paid for daycare and the provider’s tax identifying number. 
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C health coverage statements. 
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable. 


Contact Us 


GLCAC: 978-620-4762 

Hands to Help: 978-764-6996 

CTI: 978-341-3702 



 Unemployment Assitance 


COVID-19: Department of Unemployment Assistance Contact Request



Individuals use a link below will fill out and submit a form then will be placed on a list to receive a telephone call from the DUA. Filling out the form is not filing a claim.


La forma más rápida de procesar un reclamo de pago es en línea